Sunday, March 30, 2008

Crusade 18 - Carve your own Stamps

Lots of fun with the Green Pepper Press Street Team this month! Michelle challenged us to carve our own stamps, direct results may be seen in the new and improved banner for this blog - made from one of my newly hand-carved stamps. Here are the images I carved - thank you for looking at them!


This was the first stamp I carved - mehndi inspired - I used to bellydance a couple of years ago, and I learned henna design from one of my teachers. I still use a lot of inspiration from henna in my doodling.

I decided this stamp looked like a Moroccan rug.


The second one started out as my name, and then (due to my realization that I would need to write it backwards) it morphed into a life of its own. I think it's a butterfish (butterfly x fish hybrid!)


The third one I made just for me; it is Lili, Infanta of Dachsonia (seen as the "furry muse" in a previous post) as a fairy of the spring.


Here's my favorite; this one was the most technically advanced of the lot (I actually carved it in relief as opposed to just carving down onto the surface of the stamp.


Thank you so much for playing along with me, and be brave with your art! Thank you Michelle for your inspiration.

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Yay! You finally shared your stamps! They are awfully complex for a first time. You are such an over-achiever!

I am sure the Infanta of Dachsonia is pleased with your new artistic tools. She expects you to use them while documenting the progress of her kingdom, you know.

michelle ward said...

Jane - these are stunning! How cool that you made a new banner with your very own stamps. That rocks. Such beautiful and intricate stamps - thanks for sharing with the team. You will inspire us to be brave, just as you said in your last line.

Anonymous said...

I love how ornate your stamps are. Thank you so much for sharing.

Robin said...

Are you kidding me? Here I am making little leaves and circles and you're carving tapestries. Sheesh. Absolutely goregeous.

Anonymous said...

Those are some breathtaking works. Mehndi designs - what a ggreat ideas. I think that is the hook of doing this. Once you begin to see designs, images and patterns as stamp possibilities, you can't stop. Not to mention how much fun and how immediate the satisfaction of carving is.
When you said you carved the last design in relief rather than into the surface, what did you mean and, more importantly how did you do that? Ususally carving ais a subtractive process, removing what will not be printed. How di you make it a relief?

Kat W said...

Wonderful stamps, all of them! I love the one that you used on your banner! :)

Anonymous said...

These just blow me away. They are so intricate and so beautiful. I am just in awe. Love all of them :)

Anonymous said...

The mehndi stamp totally rocks!! All of the stamps are lovely and so intricate, you must be a very patient soul.;)

Vivian said...

Your stamps are so detailed! Fantastic job on carving them!

forcryeye said...

You have taken this to a whole new level. Your bellydance stamp is AMAZING!!! Your banner is beautiful and so is your fish-a-fly-name-thingie...ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - your carvings are so intricate. Fantastic stuff.