Thursday, November 19, 2009

Beeswax collage with Claudine

Parisian Collage - with photos taken by me this summer in the city of light...




Flower fairies dancing in my autumn garden...


And see that they have a queen! She loves pink flowers and rainbows, notice how her throne is crowned in them...
How fortunate I feel that I had the opportunity, on top of all the other artistic wonder that I've had the pleasure of experiencing this most artful of years, to attend a beeswax collage class with Claudine Hellmuth this past weekend at the Art League of Daytona Beach.
A nice small class, lots of one-on-one guidance and inspiration from Claudine herself - I felt like this class was such a revelation! I've had all the supplies for about four years, but never really quite had the confidence to step much into the world of beeswax collage. Now I'm very glad I did! This was the second class I've taken with the glamourous and gracious Claudine - and I just adore her. She is such a sweetie! She really keeps things upbeat and positive, but always with a wry sense of humor and a lot of patience with demonstrating and explaining things.
The thing with beeswax is that it basically renders everything with a filmy, gauzy haze of dreams - and it makes the divisions between the layers disappear. It's like working in collage heaven, all your images seem to blend and become transparent. Like Photoshop for the fingers. Ok, maybe not quite, because Photoshop has never actually burned my finger and I did manage to touch a hot iron with my thumb! Claudine observed that "I don't usually get injuries in my class..." Well, I also managed to shoot myself with my own arrow in a college archery class, so clearly when the right brain takes over from the left. Uh huh, I need supervision. But, it's a clear sign that the muse is dancing and gallivanting, and she was certainly out for a spin with the wax. I can't wait to try some more of this technique!
Pictures above are of a cigar box that I collaged the top of (I think it will be the holder for my Art Journal that I did of my summer trip to Europe) and the front of a vintage photo album that'll eventually become another art journal. The flower is just...well...a flower. But it was "rescued" from the "distressed plants" section at Lowes and I figured it might light a moment in the blog spotlight.
Wheeeeee!!

5 comments:

Shelly S said...

Beautiful work, Jane. :)

Unknown said...

You are so lucky to go to Claudine's class. I wanted to go but health issues with my husband prevented this time around. Your art turned out beautiful. Looks like you learned a lot.
Vickie

Janny said...

This is gorgeous, beatiful colours. I love beeswax;o)

Miranda said...

I'd love you panitings. I like their colos so much. Hace a nice and successful week!

Anne said...

Hi, Jane! I've had the pleasure of attending one of Claudine's classes, too. She is such a wonderful instructor. Love seeing what you've created! :-)